Saturday, April 24, 2010

Road To Retirement!

On April 9th my world changed!
After 36 years of teaching in the public school system my retirement papers were filed.
Those who have gone before me have always said, "When you're ready you will know!" They were right,I know I'm ready!!!

I will miss going to work with my daughters and seeing some of the people I work with, but there is so much I don't like about teaching in a Middle School that makes leaving a good thing for me and my students. Time to let the Young Bloods take over.
I am sad for the Young Bloods and what they face in public education today.
The Govenor of New Jersey wants to make needed changes in the budget but feels he must bully teacher to make those changes.

Stand strong Young Bloods!


On the knitting front I just finished another Top Down Raglan Sweater by Carole Barenys.


I just love this pattern!
It's free and so easy a beginner can make it.


I made it from Zara Filatura Di Crosa yarn. The colors and feel of this yarn is amazing and great for baby sweaters.


This is a little hat I made out of some left over yarn.
The pattern is from Natural Nursery Knits by Erika Knight,a beautiful book filled with special baby pattern.


This is a sweater I'm making with size 17 needles out of Loop D Loop yarn.
The pattern is Dumplin by Kim Hargreaves and can be found in Rowan Babies.



On the Grandma front.
I got this great Grandma photo album/memory book and can't wait to start filling it up.
I also got Martha Stewart's new sewing/fabric book. I love sewing and hope to take quilting lessons this summer.

Not sure how much time I'll have in the Fall when the baby comes.

10 comments:

sara said...

Congrats on retirement. I've been teaching for 15 years and I'm amazed at how much has changed in just that time. I love the top down baby raglan, too!

Michelle B said...

Congrats on the retirement!!!!

Abbey said...

Congratulations!! Happy Retirement to you!! Although I'm sad for the children who won't be blessed with having you as a teacher, I'm thrilled for you with all the time and energy you'll be saving to spend on that beautiful Grandbaby who's coming!! The knitting is great! I can see you are having so much fun!!

lara griffiths said...

wow- happy retirement! congrats and enjoy.

i believe your instincts are your best friend. they never let you down.

and egad... more knitting time! jealous :)

Amanda said...

Congratulations! Retirement is great - I have never looked back. Lovely knitting. I have also just finished a top-down cardi.

Unknown said...

Congrats on retirement. This is your time now. I love the sweater and the yarn is so beautiful. If you think the pattern for the sweater is really easy, would you make me a copy of the pattern? If it is easy and you don't mind making a copy, please send it via school mail.

Your going to make an awesome Grandma!!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Michelle, Queen Behind the Lens! said...

Just stumbled onto your blog tonight. I teach hs... have for almost 20 years. If I could submit my retirement papers tomorrow, I certainly would. The way education is going is frankly worrisome, at the least. Love all your baby knits!

A.J. said...

Happy retirement! More time for crafting! I love that colorful sweater.

Sigrun said...

Congratulations on your retirement. I haven't looked back in the 6 years since I retired. Mind you, I loved the job and had to wean myself away by substitute-teaching (only in my old school) a little less year after year. Just don't expect to get everything done that's on your "When I retire..." agenda. Life is busier than ever. Love the baby knits.